A popular fat in Indian and South Asian cooking, Ghee is clarified butter taken a step further. It has the cooking benefits of clarified butter, but with the addition of a rich, toasted, nutty flavour... and some say its even good for you! Although composed primarily of fats, it also contains significant levels of vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin D and is dairy free! It has been know to help lower inflammation, boost energy and the immune system. All this and it only takes about 30 minutes to make!
YEILD - 4 jars (125 ml)
PREP TIME - 30 minutes
1 lb of butter
1. Bring butter to a boil in a heavy bottom saucepan over moderate heat.
2. Once foam completely covers butter, reduce heat to very low.
3. Continue to cook butter, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon. It will start to foam (about 6 minutes)
4. Continue to cook butter, watching constantly and stirring to prevent burning, until solids turn light brown and butter deepens to golden and becomes translucent and fragrant, 16 to 18 minutes.
5. Remove ghee from heat and pour through a triple layer of cheesecloth into a jar.